LEAF PICKUP: The Village uses a leaf vacuum to picking up leaves. The Public Works Department will pickup leaves as weather permits beginning in October and will continue through November. Please rake only leaves (grass and branches cannot be vacuumed up) into the gutter area for pickup. The compost bunker will continue to be at the Village Garage for disposal of yard/garden waste. Please Note: Bagged leaves, compost, and yard waste will not be picked up.
LEAF BURNING: NO BURNING of leaves will be permitted. Please note that failure to comply with these regulations, as set forth in 122.1 of the municipal code will result in a fine up to $187.90
ALTERNATIVES TO RAKING LEAVES:
- Mulch your leaves into your lawn by running your lawn mower over the leaves so that it chops them up and disperses them. The smaller leaf pieces will fall in between the blades of grass and decompose, releasing nutrients to feed your lawn.
- Pile up the leaves and then chop them up with your lawn mower. Then use the leaves for mulch around your shrubs, piling it 4 to 6 inches deep to help control grass and weeds.
- Use the chopped leaves to cover perennials and roses after the ground freezes. This helps keep the ground from thawing and refreezing in early spring, which often damages perennials.
- Use your chopped leaves for compost by stacking them in alternating layers with grass clippings, kitchen waste, and a little bit of soil. Spread finished compost in the spring around perennials and shrubs and in your annual flower and vegetable gardens.
- If you don't want a compost pile, till chopped leaves right into the soil of your flower and vegetable gardens now. It will start to break down and add valuable organic matter.
Warning Siren System
The Village of New Glarus Civil Defense Warning System includes an outdoor warning system for tornados located at the corner of 7th Avenue and 5th Street. Should a tornado warning be issued for Green County, the Green County Dispatch will activate the warning system. The siren will be a steady blare. This warning system is intended as an outdoor warning system and residents are encouraged to use emergency weather radios, television, radio and weather apps to keep informed of dangerous weather. Green County Emergency Management provides emergency weather preparedness information on their website: www.greencountyem.com.
Brush: Brush and branches will be picked up curbside during the first week of each month from April through October. Please remember to leave your brush on your terrace the 1st day of the month to assure for pick-up within the 1st week of each month. After October, brush must be dropped off at the wood-chip pile located behind the Village Garage, accessible from Second Street. Village residents can also drop off brush on the brush pile anytime.
Yard Waste: The yard waste bunker is available during the months of April through November for use at the Village Garage at 93 - 1st Street. Please remember to empty your bag into the bunker, do not place bags into the bunker. YARD WASTE ONLY should be placed in this bunker. Yard waste will not be picked up curbside and should not be placed in the curb line for storage.
The Village Clerk's Office issues dog licenses at all times during the year. The fee is $4.00 for altered dogs and $9.00 for dogs not altered. To obtain a license you must provide the following:
- Vaccination Certificate from Veterinarian (proof of rabies vaccination)
- Veterinarian proof of spaying or neutering
- License Fee
Effective April 19, 2011 per Ordinance 11-01 there is a limitation of three (3) dogs on any residential lot within the Village. Click HERE to view complete ordinance amendment.
- A Kennel Permit is required for a commercial establishment wherein or whereon three or more dogs are kept for the purpose of breeding and selling.
- Download the application HERE.
To make public sidewalks safe for pedestrians, the owner or occupant of any property which fronts upon or abuts any public sidewalk or hydrant is responsible for the removal of any snow and/or ice that accumulates on the sidewalk or hydrant. Pursuant to Section 262-7 of the Municipal Code of the Village of New Glarus, residents are required to clear snow and/or ice within twenty-four (24) hours from the time the snow ceases to accumulate. Sidewalks are to be kept clear of snow and ice to a minimum of four (4) feet in width.
In the event that the removal of ice is impossible, the property owner or occupant is required to use sand and/or salt to prevent the ice from being dangerous. Click HERE for more information.
The Village has space available for rental in the Village Hall (Community Room). The Community Room is available for meetings, reunions, birthdays, etc., for a fee of $20 per day. Park pavilions can also be rented, for a fee of $35 for residents and $50 for non-residents. Please contact the Village Clerk's Office at 527-2510 for more information and availability of the site.
Download the applications here: